Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hutchinson - The Social Network


The Social Network: such a simple, yet brilliant, concept for a movie. Facebook: the website that has become as vital as oxygen to millions worldwide. The makers of The Social Network have used their common sense to make a movie that will attract millions of people to the box office; they have made a movie about the creation of the phenomenon that has become part of our everyday routines. That being said, I found Social Network to be a great movie. It was refreshing to see Jesse Eisenberg play a complete asshole, instead of the fun, loveable dork. It was even more refreshing, not to mention downright pleasing, to see him play his part so convincingly. There were times when his delivery of lines were just so perfect, so on point, that I wanted to delete my facebook account from my phone, because I believed Mark Zuckerburg to be such a pompous prick. Whether that portrayal of his character is completely factual or not is irrelevant to me; Eisenberg’s performance simply shined through the dull, dark lighting of the film. That being said, the rest of the cast – while not completely up to Eisenberg’s performance in my opinion – was still superb. The movie itself was a combination of brilliant acting, directing, cinematography, and even wardrobe. I was afraid for a while that it would look just like a movie made about the early 2000’s in the late 2000’s. I was glad to be proven wrong. It was somewhat nostalgic to see the years of my youth come alive on the big screen. The sequencing of shots was an “A+” decision as well. They take you to the past, and the present, and then the past again, but even further back this time, but then to the past, just a little later. It wasn’t in chronological order, which I believe made it that much better. It was a risky move to take, with so many people being confused by movies that don’t follow a chronological linear patter, but it worked. It made the movie. Was the film completely accurate? I’m not sure, but most movies are biased anyway. Its accuracy was not the deciding factor; how the movie was done was the deciding factor, and the movie was done very well. There was no “over the top” Hollywood feel to it. It was simple, yet not. I’d suggest to all that it is worth seeing at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment