Friday, October 22, 2010

Sanders- Avatar

My avatar, while I have depicted it here in a picture of Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada, is actually more a trait of her personality than her entirety that I wish to project in myself.  It is the concept, or idea of having the type of individuality/success/independence she maintains that I wish to embody. Miranda Priestly’s character, a high-power fashion magazine editor, is based on a book’s description of Anna Wintour, real life Editor-in-Chief of Vogue magazine. In the film, Miranda is feared by mostly everyone she comes into contact with, especially the new employee Andy (played by Anne Hathaway). Miranda knows what she wants, when she wants it, and how to get it. She is always beautifully put together for any occasion. You can tell within the first few minutes of being introduced to her character that this woman lives and breathes her job. The film offers very little into Miranda’s personal life. One exception to this is the intense care she takes for her twin daughters. Even this admiration she incorporates into her job, demanding her employee Andy to find the new copy of Harry Potter for them, an almost impossible task. The fashion world is heavily dependent on deadlines, which, with little to focus on outside of work, is something Miranda is able to meet.  I have always been someone very driven to achieve my goals and go beyond just mere success. I have the ability to do this; however, I have a hard time letting go of everything else going on to focus primarily on this goal. I admire her ability to do this, although I desire to achieve it on a much smaller scale. I am inherently an incredibly caring and empathetic person, which helps with many aspects of my life. I do sometimes let this get in the way of my own success. My mother always told me that sometimes I need to just worry about myself, yet I continue to have a hard time doing this.  At the end of the film, it is revealed that Miranda does something very nice for Andy, whom she has been very hard on before. You think after this that perhaps she has had a sort of epiphany, but instead she goes back to being the demanding and powerful woman she has always been.  She still maintains kindness deep in her heart, but she doesn’t let it control her.  Miranda is able to do this with absolutely no problem in an effort to achieve and maintain her success, and it is this aspect of her life that I wish to have a little bit of in my own. While my avatar may sound like an insensitive aspiration, it is really just a way to deal with and disperse all the sensitivity I live with now in an effort to achieve my goals.




No comments:

Post a Comment